The California School Board Association's model policy lays the foundation for California’s 1,043 school districts to ensure that all children—including those who are transgender—have fair opportunities to do well in school.
- CSBA Policy Brief: Providing a Safe, Nondiscriminatory School Environment for Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Students
School districts with policies:
- Berkeley Unified School District Policy
- Los Angeles Unified School District (2nd Largest District in the Country!)
- Natomas Unified School District
- Oakland Unified School District
- Pacifica School District
- Sacramento City Unified School District
- San Mateo County Model Gender Nondiscrimination Policy to Support Implementation of AB1266
- San Francisco Unified School District
- San Rafael Unified School District
- Willits Unified School District
Does your school district have a policy that ensures all students, including transgender students, have a fair chance to fully participate and do well in school? Let us know!
For resources on gender inclusivity, information for parents, information on athletics, and experiences of transgender students in U.S. schools, visit Gender Spectrum, a Support All Students coalition organization who provides education, training and support to help create a gender sensitive and inclusive environment for all children and teens.
- Harsh Realities: Experiences of Transgender Students in Our Nation’s Schools: Find out what transgender students experience each day in school and what you can do to create safer, welcoming environments.
- Transgender Secondary Students: Learn more about the unique experiences of transgender young people, and what you can do as school leaders to offer them support.
- On the Team: Equal Opportunities for Transgender Student Athletes: Read this groundbreaking publication that addresses the complete integration of transgender student athletes within high school and collegiate athletic programs.
Guidelines for Gender Identity Participation: Read the California Interscholastic Federation’s guidelines on gender identity participation that says “all students should have the opportunity to participate in CIF activities in a manner that is consistent with their gender identity.”
Discussing Gender: Learn how to talk to children about gender.
Top 10 Questions Parents Will Ask: Read about some of the questions that parents may ask.
- Gender Spectrum Training Overview: Read about the programs and resources that Gender Spectrum provides to school leaders so all students can thrive as they grow and learn.